We would like to extend a very warm welcome to you and your child and hope that they will have a very happy and successful year.
Miss Hall Miss Williams
Mrs Baxendale Mrs Jabakhanji
Learn your times tables!
In Year 4, the children will learn the times tables up to 12 x 12. When it comes to times tables, speed AND accuracy are important – the more facts your child remembers, the easier it is for them to do harder calculations.
Some of the techniques you can use include:
- Practising times tables by rote.
- Asking your child multiplication questions out of order – such as ‘What’s 11x12? What’s 5x6?’
- Asking your child the related division facts: ‘What’s 70 divided by 7? What’s 45 divided by 9?’
- Using arrays to help your child memorise times tables – you can use fun objects like Smarties or Lego bricks to make it more entertaining.
- Giving your child word problems to test their skills, like ‘If Peter has 800ml of orange juice and needs to share it between four friends, how much can they each have?’
- Using apps and games to build speed (see some resources below).
- Singing times tables using songs (see some resources below).